Friday, October 7, 2011

29 Week Pregnancy Update

General Pregnancy Update:

How far along: 29 weeks

How big is baby: I had an ultrasound yesterday at my 29 week appointment (it was originally supposed to be a 28 week appointment, but they canceled my Monday appointment and moved it to Thursday).  Ryder weighs 2.5 pounds and is 54% for size.  His body, limbs, etc. are all measuring right on track but his noggin is a little on the large size (just what every pregnant lady wants to hear, right?).  I hope it simply means that he has a larger than average brain and will be absolutely brilliant.

Total weight gain:  I gained way more weight than I would have liked over the past 5 weeks (since my last appointment).  Damnit. 

Belly button; Stretch Marks: No update here.  No news is good news.  Stay away evil stretchies!

Last Dr's Appt: Dr. Bradford is generally quite pleased with the progress of my pregnancy and Ryder's development.  The purpose of the ultrasound yesterday was to re-check Ryder's heart and development since he had some calcium deposits on his heart at the 20 week anatomy scan.  Unfortunately, the deposits are still there.  However, this was not a surprise.  At my 20 week appointmnet Dr. Bradford warned me that they probably would not go away.  Rather, they just like to check to make sure that the baby is growing properly.  He is.  Thus, I must continue to steer clear from Google (online research re: minor fetal abnormalities = very, very bad idea) and pray that I'm carrying a strong, healthy little boy.  There is a 99% chance that the calcium deposits mean nothing.  Those are pretty good odds.

Although I was sorely disappointed with my weight gain, Dr. Bradford is pleased as punch.  She says I'm right on track.  She also says that I'll soon be forced to give up large meals and naturally start to graze instead (i.e. Ryder is taking up so much room that my stomach will no longer be able to hold large quantities of food all at once).  I hope this is true so that I can quit shoveling my face.  I'm hungry all the time and as of today, can still ingest large quantities in a single sitting.  So I look forward to a natural appetite suppressant.

How am I feeling: Everything about my pregnancy is pretty textbook at this point. I have typical third trimester symptoms, but they are manageable. I have acid reflux and aches and pains. I also tire quickly. I have to get up to pee 2-3 times per night, but for now, I'm still able to fall right back to sleep.

The only relatively new symptom that has developed = raging hormones.  Lots of preggo ladies experience this symptom early on in pregnancy, and for some, it lasts the whole time.  I didn't notice much of a change for the first 26 weeks of pregnancy, but suddenly, I'm an emotional basketcase.  I can cry at the drop of a hat.  The littlest thing can make me sad, weepy or depressed.

Mood Swings and Food Cravings:  No new cravings.  See above re: mood swings.

Milestones: Can't think of anything of significance to report today.

What I'm looking forward to: Baby shower #1 is the day after tomorrow... I can't freaking wait!  There was a bit of a scare this week.  Emily's doctor wanted to induce her (due to low platelets), so my hostesses were going to have to scramble to find a new shower location.  Much discussion (via email) was had and a back-up plan was hatched.  My hostesses were going to contact all guests to let them know of the change in venue.  However, come Tuesday afternoon, we found out that one of Emily's other doctors would not sign off on the quasi-early induction.  So no venue change was necessary.  Phew!  Emily's little girl is a drama queen already.  Can't wait to meet her within the next week or two! 

On a separate note, I look forward to *hopefully* getting a 3d/4d sonogram on October 20th.  I was supposed to get one yesterday.  Since I already needed a regular ultrasound to check Ryder's heart, it made sense to go ahead and do the just-for-fun 3d/4d sono at the same time. It was a BIG FAT FAIL.  Ryder was squished down into my pelvis and the tech couldn't get any 3d/4d shots of his face.  My only option is to try again later to see if he has switched positions.  I was very, VERY bummed. 

By the way, stubborn calcium deposits + failed 3d/4d ultrasound + nasty weight gain + raging hormones = big fat crocodile tears in Dr. Bradford's exam room.  Dr. Bradford walked in the room, saw me crying, and immediately turned to Blake and said "what did you do to her?"  It was funny.  Dr. Bradford must see plenty of sobbing, uber-hormonal pregnant patients, as she was not in the least disturbed by my inappropriate display of emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment