Wednesday, November 23, 2011

36 weeks

My 36 week appointment turned out to be quasi-exciting!  It was supposed to be my first pelvic exam, but I'd already been checked twice due to my little "episode" with early contractions a couple of weeks ago.  During my prior pelvic exams, as you may recall from previous blog posts, Dr. Bradford informed me that my cervix was hard as a rock, super thick and closed tight as a drum.  Because less than two weeks had gone by since I received that report (and because I hadn't felt any new contractions), I 100% assumed that I'd get a similar report this time around.  Nope!

Apparently, I am now 1 cm dilated and 90% effaced.  Dr. Bradford says that the 90% statistic is the more exciting one.  It basically means that my cervix is completely soft and thinned out.  It won't need to change much prior to delivery.  Craziness!  Ryder is engaged in my pelvis and is sitting at -2 station.  Dr. Bradford estimates that he currently weighs around 5.5 pounds, and her guess (for whatever it is worth) is that he'll be in the 7.5 lb range upon birth (assuming he is born close to his due date).

I'll provide my faithful blog readers with the same cautionary words that I received from the doctor.  The above-described progress means NOTHING.  I may stay at 1 cm dilated and 90% effaced for 3 or 4 more weeks (or longer) without going into labor.  Or I might continue to dilate over the course of the next few weeks and STILL not go into labor until my due date (or later).  Alternatively, my water could break tomorrow.  Basically, my cervical progress is exciting and promising but means nothing in terms of predicting when Ryder will arrive.

I'm not ready to be a mama to an outside baby quite yet.  I still need to organize the nursery, install Ryder's carseat, catch some more semi-decent nights of sleep, and take some deeeeep breeaaaths before this baby comes.  Nonetheless, I'm stoked that my body is preparing for child birth.  I'm just going to throw it out there... December 16th sounds like a fabulous birthday.  Or maybe the 20th?  Ryder- if you can hear me, let me know if you are taking requests!

No comments:

Post a Comment