Monday, April 2, 2012

Ryder's First Road Trip

This past weekend, my mom, Blake and I took Ryder to meet his Great Grandma (my mom's mom) in Galveston, Texas.  It is normally a 5 hour car ride, but I wasn't sure how long it would take with a baby in tow.  I was pretty nervous that we'd be confined in a car with a screaming baby and that we'd have to make a lot of extra stops.  My concerns were unfounded.  Ryder was a perfect angel.  He slept the entire ride to Galveston except for when we stopped for dinner in Fairfield.  Per tradition, we ate at Sam's Restaurant and enjoyed a buffet dinner.  Ryder took his bottle like a champ and then hung out with us while we ate.  Once we were back on the road, he dozed off again and stayed asleep until we arrived at the San Luis Hotel.  The return car ride was equally perfect.  We stopped at Dairy Queen (again in Fairfield) so that we could feed Ryder and enjoy a little ice cream treat before continuing onto the last leg of the trip.  Ryder did wake up for the last 45 minutes of our return drive, but my mom (who was sitting in the back seat) managed to keep him entertained until we got home.

Ryder loved meeting his Great Grandma (and I believe the feeling was mutual).  We also enjoyed getting to visit with Uncle Arnold and Uncle Neil.  We went to lunch and dinner with them on Saturday.  Blake and I also stole away for a couple of hours on Saturday afternoon to walk the shops at the Strand.  My mom stayed with Ryder at Great Grandma's house. 

All in all, it was a really nice weekend.  The weather was beautiful and Blake and I both agree that March is the perfect month to visit Galveston.  No more summer visits for us... Galveston summers are unpleasantly sticky and hot.  Next time we visit, Ryder will be old enough to sport some swim trunks and check out the beach!


Ryder and Great Grandma


Four generations: me, Great Grandma, Ryder and Grandma "Ro"

Great Uncle Arnold with a less-than-pleased Ryder

No comments:

Post a Comment